Dragon's Lair

Dragon's Lair
Picture is from Marc Adamus

Michael's bookshelf: currently-reading

Pandemonium
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Monday, August 27, 2012

Goddess Test

The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book, and was mildly surprised with how good the book was. The writing style was the first thing that caught my eye, there was the right balance of detail and drama to ensnare you in the story from the beginning. The plot flows from one event to another without having the snags that occur in many YA, or NA books. (NA is New Adult for those who don't know or haven't heard of it.) The premise of the book was very good, though I did catch on before the end of the story. Granted many of the Gods were very transparent, Ava for one. But most others I was not able to determine who they represented, and that is good, at least to me. I was also intrigued by the varying stages of death there were presented in the book, and the concept of death presented. The book presents death as that which the person believes in, so a person who thinks that death is a field of daisies then that is what you will experience when you died. I also enjoyed how the gods were presented, that they are immortal beings that can also have physical mortal bodies that can die. If their physical bodies die then they spend time in a semi-death until they chose to retake a physical form or they pass into true death.

Now for the setting, the book takes place in Eden, which is clearly stated to be a reference to the Garden of Eden. This is not portrayed as the Biblical Garden, as it has direct references to the entryway of the Underworld from Greek Mythology, mainly the river Styx. Along with the actual underworld being the beauty the person believes it to be, this Eden is very beautiful and the author relates this beauty to the reader very well. But Eden plays a role in the plot, aside from what it represents. This Eden is the sight of the tests for Kate, and the Gods, through the author, make the town very real, despite what Kate believes, though clues are given from the beginning of the story.

Now for the tests, I do think that incorporating the Biblical into the story here was a very good touch. This brings the polytheism of Greek Mythology into a unity with the morals and beliefs of Christianity. I think the test was very well done, and as it was not revealed till the end of the story it was not forced on the reader as a religious view they must follow to understand the story. I think having a background in Christianity as well as a good understanding of Greek Mythology help to understand the story and to allow the reader to catch the subtle messages present in the story.

As for the characters, I really enjoyed reading about each and everyone of them. They were all clearly gods and goddesses but for many the ones that they were was unclear. The only ones that I was able to discern were Diana, Walter, James, and Ava. Many I had switched, while others I had no idea. As for their characters i enjoyed seeing and learning more of them and can't wait to find out more about each and every one.

I greatly enjoyed this book and I highly recommend this book to anyone who needs a quick read, or wants to read a book that deals with Greek Mythology

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon SearchBox