Dragon's Lair

Dragon's Lair
Picture is from Marc Adamus

Michael's bookshelf: currently-reading

Pandemonium
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Monday, August 20, 2012

Empyreal Fate

Empyreal FateEmpyreal Fate by Rachel Hunter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ok I loved and hated this book. I loved it because the plot engrossed me from the start even though it took time to get into the main plot and how everything tied in together. Everything about the story was real to me, the characters were real, the events were real, the twists were real, everything was real. That is also why I hated this book, i am sucker for having a good ending or at least a decent ending for the main character, and you do not get that in this book. I will not divulge what happens but I will say i was left screaming at the book as I finished. Now with that said, and as i said before this is one of my favorite books now, and I am very glad that I was able to read this book. I felt that the writing style fits perfectly, even if in many ways it is archaic. Also the length of the stor is perfect, I honestly am not sure i could have read much more than the 244 pages without having to walk away from this book. But I think that makes this a great book, that it is effecting me so much and I am having such a reaction against the characters goes as a credit to the author. Now granted not all books that make me hate the characters are 5 stars, but because this one made me want to keep reading and figure out what was going to happen next instead of just put the book down and walk away as other books have.

As to the setting and races present in this story, I think all are well done and express the prejudices and insecurities of all the races involved, granted the reader only really sees the interactions of the elves and humans. I think the limited landscape allows the actions to flow well and quickly especially when the two races do interact. This also helps with the reduced size of the book, the author does not have to spend a great amount of time explaining where the characters are going and why they are doing what they are doing. And actually this author provides all of the needed back story and scenery needed for the rest of the story, which is something that is very rare in the novels that I have read.

Now for the characters, this will not be pretty so I am going to spoil this part, granted this is for the characters that i DID NOT like. spoiler contains some severe language (view spoiler)[ Ok i had my severest reaction against Laervyen. The main reason for this is that he is a bastard and a rapist. I can not respect him as a character no matter how much i have to respect that the author has him fill the role he is playing perfectly. So for the character that he is supposed to be he fits it, but as a character i still do not think I could ever like him because of the actions that he takes, he has no redeeming value. I also have problems with Drevon but i also understand that he is simply misguided in what he thinks is right, even if he believes that he is right with all that he has, but he does what he does to help his family. Laervyen on the other end does all that he does for pure ambition and doesn't care for anyone other than himself. (hide spoiler)]

I found that i loved both Darrion and Amarya, and wanted them to come through at the end so much that i was screaming about the ending. I love that even though there was a love at first sight aspect to them, I still think it works given that she is an elf, and is supposed to possess supernatural beauty. All in all I loved both of these characters and hated what happened to them in the end, I only hope that the author can find a way to not have it end the way that it did.


So i highly recommend this book to any reader of fantasy novels, and it is a very quick and easy read that will refresh you when you are getting bogged down with the 500+ page epic, not that i am complaining about them, lol.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon SearchBox