Dragon's Lair

Dragon's Lair
Picture is from Marc Adamus

Michael's bookshelf: currently-reading

Pandemonium
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Friday, June 22, 2012

Talented

Talented (Talented Saga #1)Talented by Sophie Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed they book more than what I expected. I initially thought that it was be another fad book, a YA coming of age story about a young girl who meets her dream guy in trying times. Surprisingly this did not happen in this book. She started out with a boyfriend and the book follows their romance. There was a love triangle in the book and that did detract from it, but I will say this, the love triangle was well done. The author didn’t make it overt but you could feel the tension in Natalia through the entire novel, not only about her love life but about her abilities and just her life in general. I think the author portrayed the history of the society very well, it was rich and vibrant and seemed like it could be a very realistic future, which made the novel all the better. I enjoyed the dichotomy of the story, where there are two forces waging war against each other and as the story progressed you see that either side may not be the pure good that they try to portray. Normally I enjoy having a pure villain that you can hate and despise all the way through but that this is a political intrigue novel in some ways I am glad that the author made the two sides’ complex and having both good and bad sides to them, just like any real organization. I also enjoy how the author portrayed the Talents of the people, She did it in a way that made them seem normal, and it didn’t seem to be X-men esque as the ending of Shatter Me did, at least to me. There were many similarities to X-men but the limited number of powers and varying degree of strength was interesting to me. I think if you enjoy the X-men story then you should enjoy this story also.


My favorite character would have to be Penny and Erik. I knew that Erik would be the love interest of the story from the very beginning and I was glad about how he handled the entire situation with Natalia. I also love his power because of its usefulness to his lifestyle. I hope to learn more about him in the future works of this series. Penny I liked because she served as the foil to Natalia and worked to help bring Natalia out of her shell and helped her to grow into the woman that she is at the end of the story.

Character I hated from the get go was Donovan. He rubbed me the wrong way from the beginning, just didn’t seem right to me, and I was honestly glad that things happened the way they did for him. I also didn’t like his dad, Mac, because of the controlling manipulative director mentality that he had. To find out more you will just have to read the book.

All in all I think it was a great book and I am eager to read the next novel in the series.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon SearchBox